Premier Care Clinics
Robert DiMasi, DO
Family Medicine located in Oldsmar, FL
Chronic respiratory diseases aren’t curable, but their symptoms are treatable so you can breathe easier. Dr. Robert DiMasi of Premier Care Clinics helps men and women in Oldsmar, Florida, clear their airways. He uses medication, breathing exercises, and oxygen therapy to increase the quality of life for those with respiratory conditions. Call or use the online booking button to make an appointment today.
Respiratory Conditions Q & A
What are respiratory conditions?
Respiratory conditions are medical issues that affect the lungs and airways. Respiratory conditions usually develop as the result of a virus or a chronic disease.
Examples of some common respiratory conditions include:
- Asthma: Chronic inflammation of the air passages
- Chronic bronchitis: Chronic bronchial tube inflammation
- Emphysema: Damage to lung tissue that blocks air passages
- COPD: A combination of chronic bronchitis, chronic asthma, and emphysema
- Pneumonia: Lung inflammation caused by an infection
What increases my risk of developing a respiratory condition?
The risk factors for viruses and lung disease vary.
Pneumonia and bronchitis are both viral respiratory infections, which means they can be spread from person to person. Your risk increases when you:
- Have an impaired immune system
- Come into contact with contaminated people or items
- Come into contact with lung irritants
- Haven’t received the flu or pneumonia vaccine
Smoking or exposure to smoke is one of the most significant risk factors for lung disease. Environmental exposure to lung irritants such as chemicals, fumes, or pollutants also contributes to your risk.
How do you diagnose respiratory conditions?
First, Dr. DiMasi gathers information about your health with your medical history and a physical exam. Then, he uses these common diagnostic tools for respiratory conditions:
- Nasal swab tests: Test cultures from the nasal passage for viral infection
- Chest X-ray: Identify infection or abnormalities
- Pulmonary function tests: Check lung capacity and airflow
How do you treat respiratory conditions?
The objective of treatment for respiratory conditions is to help you breathe easier and keep your condition from progressing. Some of the most common treatments for respiratory diseases include medication, pulmonary rehabilitation, and oxygen therapy.
Medication is usually enough to treat most respiratory conditions. Cough medicine, oral steroids, bronchodilators, and inhaled steroids provide significant relief from breathing problems.
Through a series of targeted breathing exercises, many patients are able to breathe better and reduce the incidence rate of breathing troubles. Dr. DiMasi may combine these breathing exercises with education and nutritional advice to support your lung health.
Men and women with severe emphysema and COPD may need supplemental oxygen to get relief. They may not have enough oxygen in their blood, so they need a portable oxygen system to deliver a steady supply.
If you have a respiratory illness, Dr. DiMasi can help you manage it. Call or click to make an appointment at Premier Care Clinics.